As Peggy Chinn wrote in last week’s Lavender Health blog post, it’s LGBT Health Awareness Week. Sponsored by the National Coalition of LGBT Health, the week is meant to increase awareness of LGBT health issues and to improve the competence of healthcare professionals and the healthcare system regarding LGBT health.
This seems like a good time to think about your personal health, your health promotion activities, and your routine health screenings.
Ask yourself these 10 questions:
1. Have you had an annual physical examination including gynecological exam in the last year?
2. Have you been to the dentist in the past 6 months?
3. Have you had a mammogram (if appropriate)?
4. Have you had a colonoscopy (if appropriate)?
5. Do you get the recommended amount of exercise every day or week (cardiovascular and weight/resistance training)?
6. Is your diet as healthy as it could be?
7. How much alcohol do you drink?
8. What is your weight?
9. Do you have social support (family, friends, co-workers)?
10. Do you find meaning in your life?
LGBT Health Awareness Week is now. If you have “room for improvement” in your personal health, why not take one step in the right direction, and do it today. Why wait?