Affordable Care Act options always open!
LGBTQ people and families need medical coverage, but finding information about your specific rights and coverage options is not easy, particularly in the face of persistent barriers to health care for LGBTQ patients. Here are some resources to help you navigate this system.
Note that even when open enrollment is not happening, you may qualify for a special enrollment period. To qualify for a special enrollment period, one of the following must apply to you:
- You have a qualifying life event like getting married, having a baby, moving to a new area, or losing other health coverage.
- You have a complex situation related to applying for coverage in the Health Insurance Marketplace. Learn more about these special circumstances. One of the special circumstances is “misinformation!” If you tried to get information about your options during the open enrollment period, and received misleading or wrong information, you may quality now! If you think this may be the case, go online or call now to check it out! www.healthcare.gov, 1-800-318-2596
ACA Resources for LGBT individuals and families!
There are a number of LGBT-specific resources available related to the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Here are two web site to learn more:
Where to Start, What to Ask: A Guide for LGBT People Choosing Health Care Plans is published by “Strong Families” and a host of LGBT partner groups. This guide provides information to help :
- Evaluate your healthcare needs,
- Navigate new insurance options and
- Choose the best plan based on needs of LGBT families.
Out2Enroll is another resource specifically for LGBT individuals and families, offering guidance and assistance to get medical insurance coverage. Here is their infographic showing why this is, indeed, a major LGBT issue!