- Understand terminology related to sex, gender, and sexual orientation.
- Identify at least three reasons why LGBTQ patients might choose to disclose their gender or sexual identities to health care professionals.
- Describe the concept of stigma and its potential consequences.
- Identify common stereotypes about LGBTQ people and explain the harm they cause to all people, not just LGBTQ individuals and communities.
- Describe variations in LGBTQ relationships, families, and communities.
- Explain possible relationships between stigma and health problems.
- Identify four steps that health care professionals can take to improve the quality of care for LGBTQ patients/clients.
Suggested Topical Outline
- The concept of stigma and how it affects LGBTQ people
- Overview of LGBTQ terminology
- Myths and Stereotypes and how to overcome them
- Health disparties in LGBTQ communities
- LGBTQ families and communities: how they are defined
- Best practices for quality health care for LGBTQ people and their families