Gay Data – Encourages the collection of sexual orientation data and the analysis of data sources that have already collected such data. The web site includes
- Data Sources, listing known surveys and studies that have collected LGBT data,
- Knowledge Index, summarizing known facts related to LGBT population
- Measures, providing details of known definitions and survey items used to identify “sexual orientation”
- Sampling, a discussion of 1) probability versus non-probability sampling, 2) modes of sexual orientation data collection, and 3) sample size.
- Recommendations – guidelines for research design and method, suggested questions when including sexual orientation data, and the rationale for including this data in any research study.
The Williams Institute – National think tank that advances law and public policy through rigorous independent research and scholarship. The Institute provides small grants each year for research related to their mission.
Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality (SSSS) – The oldest professional society dedicated to the advancement of knowledge about sexuality. SSSS funds several awards each year recognizing scholars who have contributed to the field. They award two $1,000 grants each year to student members doing research related to human sexuality. The Society publishes three journals: Sexual Science, Annual Review of Sex Research, and the Journal of Sex.
Lesbian Health Fund (LHF) – Since 1992, LHF has granted over half million dollars for important studies needed by health care providers to address the health concerns of their lesbian patients. LHF’s goals include educating health care providers about lesbian health needs, and lesbians about risk reduction, early diagnosis of health problems, and safe insemination techniques.
Journal of Homosexuality – Internationally acclaimed, peer-reviewed, and devoted to publishing a wide variety of disciplinary and interdisciplinary scholarship to foster a thorough understanding of the complexities, nuances, and the multifaceted aspects of sexuality and gender.